As you can see in our logo (top right), our goal is “Growing Toward Christ.” It’s inspired by 2 Corinthians 3:18, which states, “…we all, who with unveiled faces contemplate the Lord’s glory, are being transformed into his image with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the Lord…”
Three key goals of our church include:
Creating community through quality worship and fellowship.
Helping people reach their full potential through discipleship.
Becoming good neighbours through missions.
History of Bedeque Baptist Church
(Formerly assembled for a brochure celebrating the 180th anniversary of the church in 2006.)
- First Baptist influence in Bedeque, under leadership of Isaac Bradshaw was in 1805.
- The Church was organized in 1826 by Rev. Theodore Seth Harding, and first met in the schoolhouse across from the present building.
- The first ordained pastor was Rev. Charles Tupper who served for nine years (1833-1842).
- The Church was built in 1860 – “a plain structure inside and out”.
- During the 1890’s the structure was completely renovated, with the vestry and steeple added.
- Dr. Charles A. Britten Memorial Hall and other additions became a reality in 1962.
- Several pastoral arrangements have been enjoyed over the years involving Summerside Baptist, Tryon Baptist, and Belmont Baptist.
- From 1833 to 2006, the Church was served by a total of forty-one pastors.
- On April 16, 2006, the Bedeque Baptist Church adopted its first Constitution. At the same meeting, it was agreed to change the name to Bedeque Baptist Church, leaving out the word “United”. Similarly, the denomination became known as the Convention of Atlantic Baptist Churches.